Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood fence post problem

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 3/28/16 8:18 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/28/2016 07:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a wooden fence post that is loose (for lack of a better
term). It is the one that has the gate on it and when I open the
gate, the post leans back from the weight at an angle. Where the
cement around the post interfaces with the ground, it is okay. It
doesn't move up/down or side/side. However, when the cement and the
wood post interfaces, you can see a small void all the way around
and that is where the sag is. It looks like the wood shrunk over
the years. I have tried shim it to no luck. I would GREATLY
prefer that I don't have to chip off the cement and do that again
if possible. I am afraid that the post may break off at the base
from the weight of the gate and the angle.
Any suggestions?

If the post has no signs of rotting...I don't see why shimming did
not work. Either your shims were too short and narrow, or the post
has indeed rotted, but just too far beneath the surface to see.

I am beginning to think that is the problem.I tried regular wood
shims like you use for shimming windows and the longer plastic ones.
The last ones seemed to go toward the center of the post as they got
further in. Now, to figure a way to check that out easily.

That is an indication that the post is rotted below ground level . Bite the
bullet and replace it with a bigger timber and be sure the concrete you set
it in comes above ground level and is sloped to shed rain water . IMO gate
posts should always be 6x6 minumum . Another thing I do if I build a gate ,
I make the frame of welded steel . Guaranteed not to sag , ever . I've even
retrofitted steel framework to existing saggy wooden gates ...

--
Snag