Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Portable compressed air tank

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 00:34:20 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

snip

I only want to blow dust off a heatsink. I can actually do this myself by
taking a big breath and blowing hard.

I've done that for someone on an overheating PC but using a thin tube
to better direct the air and get my face out of the way. ;-)

But I really don't want to do that, and I don't want a large compressor plus
tank I have to store somewhere to do this for me.

I've not read the entire thread but I have a very portable and
'adequate' instant / oil-free, non reservoir compressor I regularly
use for blowing out PC heatsinks and cases and have done so for many
years now (to good effect).

http://nbwelly.en.made-in-china.com/...hout-Tank.html

http://tinyurl.com/hn3xonj

My mate (who owns his own PC repair shop) has the exact same and has
been using his for a similar period. The only thing against them, you
do need power and they are pretty noisy (but aren't generally running
for long). Personally, I leave mine just inside an external door, just
close the door on the hose and blow the item clean outside (so not so
noisy).

snip

By the way, I have an emergency tyre in the boot of my car, that claims it
is charged to 60psi.
I bet I could fit an attachment to this to provide short bursts of air that
would be far more effective than anything I can do by blowing hard, and it
has the right attachment for blowing up at any local garage.
http://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-infor...ce-saver-tyre/

I just need a smaller tank to do the same job.

As I believe has already been mentioned, you don't get a lot of
'compressed air' when you aren't compressing it to very high pressures
so you may be stuck with something that is still reasonably bulky. A
spare wheel may well be good enough and as you say, already has the
right connections, at least for inflation. ;-)

I bought one of these to do exactly the sort of thing you were talking
of:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...eceiver/p19659

http://tinyurl.com/zjonb68

I have to admit I've not used it yet but I hope to soon, both to
expand the capacity of my small silent workshop compressor (Bambi) and
to have something in the indoor workshop for the odd small blowing out
job (that I can re-charge myself down the workshop on the other
compressor).

Cheers, T i m