Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Some customers...

"**Fuses open in seconds. Semiconductors can fail in MILLISECONDS. Active
current limiting is the best solution. "

Yeah like when seconds count, the cops will be there in minutes. Completely true. The problem is the implementation.

Active current limiting tends to make bad bad distortion on low impedance loads. It sounds as if a speaker is blown or a woofer is bottoming out.

I have tried to figure out a better way but am at a loss on that, so I understand why they did it. It protects their product from abuse and unnecessary warranty claims. And it was cheap, couple transistors, diodes, maybe six resistors in all.

The alternative is to use a relay and a latch, which is run through the uProcessor on newer **** and it reads "Protection" on the display. I am not fond of those type of circuit because it makes it harder to troubleshoot.

I think they should make amp ready to drive one ohm loads, but then they would be more expensive and sales would be lost.