Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
polygonum wrote

Going on to "Why is it Z: on that PC but Q: on this one?"

Network search mapping / network drive mapping.

"Where has P: gone?" when the original P: is "over-mapped" by another
drive that wants to be called P:.

Straight network re-mapping.

Not necessarily, you can get the the same thing with removable drives.

"Why can't I use my CD drive since someone set up the network drive as
D:?"

Network mapping.

Yeah but they are network related questions

No they are not.

Yes they are.

No they are not.

Every single instance was stated by *you*

I never stated any, polygonum did that.

as network drive mapping issues.

Not all of them are.

It happens just as often with removable drives.

But you just stated all network related issues

No I did not, and polygonum didn't either.

and hence my observation (that *those*
were all network related issues).

They aren't all.

and most home users don't use networking

BULL**** they don't.

You don't have a clue mate.

Hell of a lot more a clue than you do thanks.

and so those business / office users should have been
better trained and / or the network admin configured
the shares more consistently with a / the logon script).

Pity about all the home users.

No need, they rarely suffer network related drive mapping issues
because 1) they rarely make use of networking (LAN not Internet)

BULL****.

and 2) rarely don't know about drive mapping if they do.

It isnt just about network drive mapping.

I *know* this because I've helped enough people with home
networking in my life who prior to my assistance hadn't got a
clue that they could share files, folders, printers and DVD drives etc.

You don't even see the ones that can work that out
for themselves or have the system do it for them
when they plug another device into their router etc.