Dave Plowman

Default MEM Gridwwitch 8000

In article ,
Jerry. wrote:
Why would you use fused spurs? All appliances come with a plug which
is already fused.

Not very convenient if the fuse blows, haul out the appliance, un-plug
and change fuse, heave appliance back into place - apposed to use
removing fuse from face plate....

So you remove the plug from the appliance and hard wire it in? Bit of a
pain if you need to move it for cleaning etc. If it's still plugged in but
has a supplementary fuse in an FCU etc, you can bet your bottom dollar
that it's still the fuse in the plug that goes...

FWIW, all that faffing around for the unlikely event of a fuse blowing -
I've only ever had this happen once with kitchen appliances, and this
required removal of the appliance from its 'housing' to fix the fault
anyway, so being able to unplug it for servicing was far more of an
advantage.

As regards being able to isolate kitchen appliances via a wall switch -
again why bother? They all have off/on switches anyway. In the very
unlikely event of this failing and the appliance had to be shut off at the
same time urgently you could simply switch off the appropriate ring at the
CU.

IMO all appliances should be wired in such a way. It's like plumbers
placing shut off valves to washing machine flexible intake pipes (for
example) behind the appliance - bloody useless if the flexible pipe
leaks !...

That's rather different. You need shut off valves, so you should situate
them where they are easily accessible. And the same could be the case for
the socket feeding the machine. It doesn't have to be behind the machine
either.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn