Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default 53 million Smart Meters?

Rod Speed wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris J Dixon writes:
tim... wrote:

Has anyone even agreed the tariff regime which might be
implemented to take advantage of this potential mechanism?

There was a program on Radio 4 around lunchtime on this.
Suppliers said they'll offer variable charging tarrifs when there
are more people on smart meters. Austrialia has been offering them
for 5 years and there's only a 1% uptake.

Its much more complicated than that. In some areas you get no choice.

I think they said 39% of those who switched
to them found themselves worse off.

That only happens when the smart meter tariff does that deliberately.

I still really, really don't understand why smart meters should be
necessary or even useful for this.

If the supplier knows that they can supply eletricity more cheaply at
some time in the small hours how does having a smart meter help in the
slightest in communicating this to either the user or to an appliance
using electricity?

--
Chris Green
ยท