Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spraying used oil

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 08:36:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 04:29:19 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 23:37:59 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:21:11 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:02:25 -0500, Ignoramus3828
wrote:

I need to spray used oil on a number of truck frames etc.

I would like to know what is a good solution, preferably compressor
driven, that would make a good spray pattern and preferably not too
much overspray.

I am not interested in opinions about advantages and disadvantages of
used oil spraying, I just want to know how to spray it.

Besides it probably being illegal in Illinoise and salt/water/dust
would likely quickly erase it from the frame, MOST people use a
rubberized undercoating for frames and underbodies, Ig. Why not
recycle the oil and steamclean + undercoat your trucks, for a
once-in-a-lifetime fix?

Otherwise, what about using an existing aerator spray tip and
adjusting the air pressure to control the overspray? Olive oil can be
sprayed with a hand-pump and regular paint spray can nozzle. Grab a
magnifying glass and look at pressure washer or paint gun tips for
clues into spray containment. It's possible that an HVLP paint
sprayer might work, so you might give that a try, too.
http://tinyurl.com/3muqz79

I dislike the oil spray concept from an eco standpoint, and I'm
surprised it isn't illegal. Where's the freakin' EPA now? Watch them
fine a person $50k for leaking a quart of oil onto the ground, but
they let 1,000,000 people leak oil onto the street and flow into lakes
and sewer systems? Go figure!
Rubberized undercoating guarantees the vehicle WILL rust as soon as
ithe rubber film is damaged - and it WILL be damaged.

Are the installers cleaning and drying the vehicles properly first?
I know it's best to have it done fresh from the factory, while it's
still pristine.

True indeed.

Gunner, who grew up in Michigan, and had more than one nice vehicle
rust away, long long before it was worn out.

Thinking about it, I can't see how the pressure-washer-like spray from
the tires doesn't wipe every bit off the undercarriage in minutes flat
during rains. I'd think snow was easier on it, but I don't drive in
the stuff here.

The bottom 8" of body/bedsides on my Tundra is undercoated (under the
paint) and none of it is chipped/rusted/damaged after 8+ years.

Its not the wet...its the salt that they use to melt the ice on the
roads back there. Hell...even here on the Left coast...vehicles that
are used on the beach on the Pacific Ocean dont get that bad for
decades. Takes 25+ yrs to do that to boat trailers constantly soaked
in the ocean. Ive not seen a rusted out vehicle in 40 yrs that didnt
come from the upper midwest...or was made in the 1930s or before.

Thats one of the reasons I moved out of there (among others). Its
also one of the reasons Ive got little respect for American car
makers. It wouldnt cost all that much more to use stainless steels for
areas that are subject to that corrosive slime. Its also one of the
reasons that they use so much plastic..its cheap, doesnt rust and it
provides very little protection to modern vehicles in crashes..but
does make the vehicles lighter. Much much lighter..hence better gas
mileage.