Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 53 million Smart Meters?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:22:41 -0700, harry wrote:

On Saturday, 26 March 2016 02:58:33 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35894922

"The British government has committed to getting 53 million smart
meters into our homes and small businesses by the end of 2020, at an
estimated cost of £11bn."

Hum, 53 million by end 2020.

Finished by: 31 Dec 2020 Today: 26 Mar 2016 Days

reamining: 1741
Meters: 53000000 Meters/day: 30443 Meters/man/day: 6

Installers: 5074

5075 installers where are they going to come from? And the above
calculation assumes that every single ones one of those installers does
6 installs/day everyday from now to 31 Dec 202, 4 3/4 years. With no
holidays, no sick, no days off (aka weekends...).

Another target they ain't going to meet. Even if you half the number of
meters to 25 million (about the actual number of households in the
country) they still aren't going to make it.

"The EU has said that all its members must provide smart meters by 2020
as long as there is a positive economic case to do so."

Economic case for whom, energy companies or consumers?

Germany said no on ecomonic grounds, Austraila and Canada found it too
expensive and of little benefit.

--
Cheers Dave.

I don't think there are 53 million households in the UK.

Read it again.