Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 09:21:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/25/2016 8:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:36:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
The articles I've read say pretty much opposite
of what you wrote.

The "heavy duty" carbon zinc Chloride battery is a different animal
than the old zinc carbon/manganese dioxide LeXlanche battery and puts
out about 3 times the capacity, longer life, and less likelihood of
leakage

They have a longer shelf life, but a lower output/in-use life than
alkalines.

I've found for things like flashlights that sit most of their life but
need to work when you need them, Carbon/zinc chloride batteries are
best. For things that are used every day - low current/light duty use
like clocks and remote controls alkalines are better.

Just my experience. And yes - a fresh alkaline will outperform a fresh
"heavy duty" battery when it comes to hours of output from a
flashlight - but put that flashlight away after half an hour of use
and go back to it a year later - - - -

Again, that's backwards of my experience. I've found,
and read, that alkalines have much higher capacity and
much longer shelf life. One time for some thing to do,
I did mix and match alkalines and carbon zincs. I found
alkalines last four times longer. Both in low and high
drain applications.

Well I have a big box of "heavy duty" batteries that have been "on
the shelf" for ofer 5 years and are still in perfect operating
condition......