Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spraying used oil

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 04:45:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 09:23:15 -0500, Ignoramus9970

On 2016-03-23, James Waldby wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:28:46 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:09:07 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" ... wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" ... wrote ...
Jim Wilkins wrote:
The MSDS data suggests that Thompson's Water Seal and LPS-3 have
had their active preservatives removed and are now just wax in solvent.

What were these additives?

I don't remember exactly and I'm keeping my computer clean by not
searching while doing my taxes. You could look.

This is second-hand info, but I remember from discussions a decade ago
with some woodworkers...

The old formula was just some volatile solvent and some kind of wax --
not common paraffin, according to reports, but some similar
hydrocarbon wax. The new formula is water-based. It still contains
some volatiles, but it doesn't spread well and it doesn't soak in as
well.

Amazon reviews of Thompsons 10104 MultiSurface Water Seal Waterproofer
new formula show 4 positive reviews, and 24 critical (1 star of 5)
reviews ... amazingly negative, overall.
http://www.amazon.com/Thompsons-10104-MultiSurface-Water-Seal/product-reviews/B000LNOZ8Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=c ritical

Really amazingly negative reviews!

Geeze! Glad Ive got 4 gallons left of a 5 gallon can I bought 10 yrs
ago. The front deck gets done again this spring....oil based..praise
be.

When you run out, switch to Penofin Blue. It's the cheaper one and
works better than their premium product. Penofin works better than
any other finish I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot in this
business. Penofin builds, so you put it on this year, next year, two
years after that, 3-5 years after that, etc. Truly great stuff. I've
done log homes with it and the owners were ecstatic with its look and
performance.

Brush in deck cleaner, rinse, allow to dry for a week, sweep off, and
apply in the morning sun, before it gets too hot. Let it sit and wipe
off any excess. That's a hassle, but it wipes easily and dries hard.
Lay the wipe cloth out flat on the grass to dry completely or it might
self-combust.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,