Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacement multimeter test leads

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 23:11:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Hmm ... back when I was working at an R&D lab, we used a
silicone rubber insulated very flexible wire -- but it was all white.
Made a lot of leads with 'gator clips on each end, with the only color
coding being the plastic sleeve on the back end of the clip.

It did feel like the wire insulation in the Fluke leads.

It was good for something like 20 KV (we did a lot of HV low
current work.) (Not sure whether the breakdown voltage for the
colored wires would be lower -- I would suspect so -- especially for the
black ones. :-)

However -- once one was connected across a 28 VDC power supply
which was capable of 50 Amps. The lead went from equally flexible along
its entire length to *more* flexible (where the lead vaporized) and much
siffer, where the strands welded together. :-)

No -- I don't remember who made the wire -- but we typically had
a 1000' spool on hand, and the markings on the end of the metal spools
was blue background, if that rings a bell as to who manufactured it.

Belden and Alpha both used blue. I have a 1000' spool of black
silicone Belden HV wire out in my shop, somewhere. I always preferred
the Belden to any other brand of wire for making probes.

Ever find it and its in usable condition..Id buy 50' or so off you.

Gunner