Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default 53 million Smart Meters?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

The only real use is for reverse auction for supply, something the
energy companies are not interested in at all.
e.g. I auction my 500W base load - bid for the supply of that, and
the cheapest bidder (or some other critera I choose) supplies it.
(As a base load, I pay for it regardless if I use it or not, but
get it at a cheaper rate than unpredictable loading.)
I want to run my 3kW immersion heater for 2 hours every night -
someone bid for that and they can choose the time it runs each night.
I want to run my washing machine sometime in next 48 hours -
someone else bids for that and specifies the time it runs.

None of the consumer side of smart metering is being rolled out
at all.

but that's because it requires smart appliances - which no-one makes,
because no-one can use...

Which is the classic chicken and egg problem for which someone has to broker
a solution (or not).

tim