Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Some customers...

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 05:48:15 -0500, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

Cautioned him on speaker hook-ups, gave him our hand-out sheet explaining
speaker connections,
which also contains explicit warnings about shorting wires etc.

Put a 0.5 ohm xx watt resistor in series with each speaker. Paint the
resistors with whatever concoction generates the most noxious smoke
possible[1]. Then he shorts the leads again, the resistor(s) will get
hot, smoke, stink, and NOT blow up the output stages. There will be a
loss in output power, which presumably he won't notice unless he's
running low impedance or low efficiency speakers.

[1] Cotton soaked in propylene glycol or white mineral oil which is
what we used for wind tunnel airflow visualization. Propylene glycol
doesn't stink very much, but white mineral oil really reeks.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D