Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Spraying used oil

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 13:20:38 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 01:07:21 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 16:31:20 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 20:51:48 +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
wrote:

writes:

Volswagen was famous for that in the early "rabbit" years. Tubber
undercoating on the outside of the floor. Rubber sound deadener on the
inside of the floor. Rust crystals in between. Add floor mats and you
had a 3 layer rubber floor. Looking at them they could look almost
perfect, but you could punch them with your fist almost anywhere
without bruising your knuckles.

My mother had one of those. One day, as my dad and I were checking her
Rabbit before she took it on a long trip, I stomped hard on the brake
pedal, and had it go all the way to the floor. Turned out the brake
line to the rear wheels ran under the floor mats, where it was always
damp, so it was rusted, of course, and my high pressure test burst it.

-tih
Yup - and the fuel line ran inside too.
AWFUL little machines. They say they don't build 'em like they used to
and a say "THANK GOD!!!!!"

Patching a hole in the floor on one of those critters always turned
into at least an all day job, and often ended up in a trip to the
wrecking yard when you found out just how far the cancer had spread.
After pealing off as much of the rubber from both inside and outside
and finding there was nothing left to rivit or screw or weld a patch
too - or after attempting to weld in a patch without removing the
rubber adequately from one side or the other and turning it into a
"smoke bomb" A friend did it "the easy way" and just poured a
fiberglass floor tub, using the rubber membrane as a "mold", and
screwed the fiberglass to the inner rocker panels.

Back in the mid '60s my neighbour who worked as a weldor at "Link
Belt" broughy home a couple large chain guards (3/16" sheet syeel) and
re-built the floor pan of his dad's '59 Buick from the back bumper to
the fire wall. He didn't bother to undercoat it because he figured
that the roof would rust through before the new floor!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

"link Belt" rings an old bell. My dad fed the copula at the LB
foundry in Elmira back in the late fifties.

Tom worked at the plant in Woodstock and he lived in the front half of
the house in Oxford Centre - about the only house to survive the
tornado. This was pre 1967.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada