Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_5_] Dave M[_5_] is offline

Default magnifier

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:51:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

(...)
I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have
but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res
TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't
make the image large enough. I was wondering what people
are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

You can enlarge your video image with the appropriate software. You
may end up seeing scan lines and have focus problems, but it will be
larger. I have some software that came with a microscope camera that
does this quite well. I don't recall the name right now.

I have fair collection of vision aids. All of them work for specific
functions, but none of them work for every possible situation. Here's
my list:

1. 3.25 diopter reading glasses. I get these at the dollar store for
ummm.... $1/ea. They're junk and are treated accordingly. They're
what I use most when I want to inspect a PCB. I also have some other
power reading glasses for reading.

2. Surgical or dental loupe binoculars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281832405417
I have a similar 3.5x-420mm binoculars that fit over my $1 reading
glasses. They're also available in:
2.5x-320mm
3.5x-320mm
2.5x-420mm
3.5x-420mm
and maybe some other sizes. I also have an LED light that clips onto
the glasses (or my hat).

3. USB camera/microscope something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351620052002
Most of the specs are lies. Mine is 640x480. Here's some sample
pics:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/USB%20Camera/640x480/index.html
What's important is the LED ring light, which produces shadow free
illumination. I also have a ring light for my microscope.

4. Trincocular microscope. The 3rd pipe is for the USB camera. Be
sure to get a camera with a 0.5x expander.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/slides/microscope-setup.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Olympus-BHC-Microscope.html

5. Inspection type binocular microscope. This one has about 2"
working distance and should be usable for soldering SMT parts.
However, I'm short on eye pieces, the boom needs work, and the optics
need cleaning. No photos.

6. Assortment of Fresnel and convex magnifier lenses and hand
magnifiers. Also, a few illuminated jewelers loops. I keep these in
the car for service calls, where the larger devices would get in the
way.

7. Various digital cameras with macro lenses or built in macro
features. It's often easier to inspect or enhance a digital photo,
than try to see detail through the lens.

Good luck...

Funny that this subject has come up at the same time that I'm looking for a
hobbyist-priced stereo microscope for SMD assembly and rework. A good
stereo microscope seems indispensible now that almost everything electronic
is getting so small that only robots are capable of handling and assembling
it.
I've been looking at the AmScope line of stereo microscopes, which are
available directly form AmScope and Ebay, for similar prices. The ones I'm
interested in are the model SE400X 5X-10X Stereo Boom Arm Microscope (Ebay
item 140927802323) and the 7X-45X Trinocular Articulating Zoom Microscope +
Ring Light (SKU: SM-6T-FRL on AmScope.com). The latter unit is on sale
right now; regular price is $1100, sale price is $530. Pretty good
discount. It's a trinocular microscope, with a port for a video camera.
I'm trying to get some recommendations as to the camera resolution needed
for SMD electronics work (megapixels).
The former unit is advertised to have a 9" working distance (from lens to
work).
Reviews for the AmScope units seem to indicate that the 10X magnification is
best for electronics work; higher magnification results in too small field
of view. The trinocular unit from AmScope is a zoom unit, with 7X-40X
magnification, well suited for a wide range of applications.

I haven't decided which model I want to buy yet... But AmScope seems to be
the best bang for the buck for me.

Cheers,
Dave M