Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In ,
Roger wrote:

I used rpm x lb.ft / 5252 - which is more or less the same thing.

Yes - you can use a constant. But the formula explains things to those who
are interested.

True. But 33000 is a constant, anyway. If you express the speed in
radians per second rather than RPM, you're just left with 550 at the
bottom - since 1 HP is defined as 550 ft-lb per second.

Some of the engines I was working on developed their max power at about
5250 rpm - meaning that the power was numerically equal to the torque at
that speed.

I'd say this is near impossible (or desirable) in practice.

Sorry, you've lost me. What's near impossible?

--
Cheers,
Roger