Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default weed eater

On 2016-03-25, badgolferman wrote:

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket string head replacement
that works well.

I agree with yer premise that most weed eaters are junk.

I used a new Craftsman electric weed eater. The "string head", which
I think you mean the device that feeds the string out. This Craftsman
hadda bump-on-ground kinda feeder. It worked flawlessly, delivering
about 8"-10" of nylon string every time you bumped it on the ground.

The optimal string length was about 6". To obtain this length, the
trimmer had a little razor blade in a plastic holder, permenently
mounted about six inches from the head. As the new string was fed
out, the cutter blade would chop off the extra inch or two of string.
Problem was! .... the cut-off blade, which cut the new string to
length was mounted in a cheap plastic mount and the new string would
spin around and completely break off the entire blade/blade mount.

Craftsman reluctantly replaced it, but the brand new one did the exact
same thing in about 5 mins after I started using it.

All the gas engined weed eaters I've seen (Ryobi, etc) are also junk.
The primer bulb, gas line (tubing), other plastic/soft parts, etc, all
turn brittle and break. I see a lotta you ppl blaming ethanol gas.
Nonsense. Ethanol gasoline ran in my vehicles fer yrs, with no probs.

nb