Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default magnifier

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:51:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

(...)
I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have
but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res
TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't
make the image large enough. I was wondering what people
are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

You can enlarge your video image with the appropriate software. You
may end up seeing scan lines and have focus problems, but it will be
larger. I have some software that came with a microscope camera that
does this quite well. I don't recall the name right now.

I have fair collection of vision aids. All of them work for specific
functions, but none of them work for every possible situation. Here's
my list:

1. 3.25 diopter reading glasses. I get these at the dollar store for
ummm.... $1/ea. They're junk and are treated accordingly. They're
what I use most when I want to inspect a PCB. I also have some other
power reading glasses for reading.

2. Surgical or dental loupe binoculars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281832405417
I have a similar 3.5x-420mm binoculars that fit over my $1 reading
glasses. They're also available in:
2.5x-320mm
3.5x-320mm
2.5x-420mm
3.5x-420mm
and maybe some other sizes. I also have an LED light that clips onto
the glasses (or my hat).

3. USB camera/microscope something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351620052002
Most of the specs are lies. Mine is 640x480. Here's some sample
pics:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/USB%20Camera/640x480/index.html
What's important is the LED ring light, which produces shadow free
illumination. I also have a ring light for my microscope.

4. Trincocular microscope. The 3rd pipe is for the USB camera. Be
sure to get a camera with a 0.5x expander.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/slides/microscope-setup.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Olympus-BHC-Microscope.html

5. Inspection type binocular microscope. This one has about 2"
working distance and should be usable for soldering SMT parts.
However, I'm short on eye pieces, the boom needs work, and the optics
need cleaning. No photos.

6. Assortment of Fresnel and convex magnifier lenses and hand
magnifiers. Also, a few illuminated jewelers loops. I keep these in
the car for service calls, where the larger devices would get in the
way.

7. Various digital cameras with macro lenses or built in macro
features. It's often easier to inspect or enhance a digital photo,
than try to see detail through the lens.

Good luck...
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558