Bill Webb

Default Won't buy another new Zenith

The quality goes in, the name goes on...and the red goes blurry shortly
thereafter.

In all seriousness, Trash Day has caused me to lose much respect for
Zenith. (My bro and I have only started 'trashing' in my neighborhood
this summer, as a fun and slightly profitable racket of picking up
electronics with no or minor faults, fixing them if applicable, then
selling them or giving away to friends...but that's been time enough to
draw some conclusions on Zenith...)

Our family had one since sometime in the '70s, in fact predating me,
that gave us years of trouble-free service. When it finally gave up the
ghost, the picture [when it had a picture--see next sentence] was still
crystal clear. (looking back, it was almost certainly a cold solder
joint, but I was too young to know this or attempt a fix at the time,
and my folks had gotten tired of whacking the TV to get the picture back :-)

However, EVERY Zenith we've picked up on the curbside--none of them that
old (mid-90s and newer)--has had a weak / dying picture tube. It's
always the same--turn it on, hear the familiar flyback sounds (yay, HOT
and flyback are probably OK), see a picture start to come up.... and
wait for the set to warm up and go into focus, but it never does. One
color (typically red) saturating wherever that color appears on screen,
producing a big blurry halo, often accompanied by ghosts and jailbars.
Every nifty feature imaginable, but none of them worth using because the
picture quality is so poor. People toss them because the CRT goes bad
before the electronics can.

Well, there's my rant for the day.