Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In articleJ6OdnTIlls8dx2nLnZ2dnUU78V2dnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Vir wrote:
If a car is generating 400nM of torque at 2000RPM, what is the power
output of the engine?

Have you not Googled to find a calculator to do just this?

The formula I was taught many many years ago is for imperial units.

Easy to remember. Two pies 'n' tea.

So:-
2 x pi x RPM x torque(lb.ft)
33,000

Result is approx 112 bhp.

I used rpm x lb.ft / 5252 - which is more or less the same thing.

Some of the engines I was working on developed their max power at about
5250 rpm - meaning that the power was numerically equal to the torque at
that speed.
--
Cheers,
Roger