Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Shaving off door bottom

David Lang wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David Lang wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You need a circular saw and a sawboard

Nowhere near as good IMO.

I've trimmed around 15 doors this year. Trust me,

No thanks.

it's quicker & more accurate.

But not as good for the OP who isnt likely to be able to work
out just how much should be removed. Much safer to do it
more gradually with an electric plane for someone like that.

Have you ever used a sawboard?

Yep, use one all the time with a circular saw,
essentially because I don’t have a table saw.

And that is irrelevant to the point I was making about what is
best for someone like the OP who has never done a door before.

Something else you've never used, obviously.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.

Even with the work horizontal and on a workbench, it's not easy to
make a perfect job with a power plane.

You don't need a perfect job with the bottom of a ****ing door,
****wit.

You do if you are charging a customer for it.

No you don’t. No customer will even notice if the bottom
of the door isnt perfectly square with the face of the door
and the OP isnt charging any customer for it anyway.

Indeed, a hand plane is easier to use for the unskilled.

Bull**** for someone who has never used one before.

Something as large as a door is going to be even more difficult.

Nope, just have the door on one of the long edges and the bottom
vertical. Do it half at a time and turn the door over so its on the
other
long side when you have done half the bottom and do the other half.

Ha ha ha ha!

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there.

It's all your feeble argument deserves.

Must explain why you are making such a spectacular fool of
yourself going on and on and on with your mindless silly ****
that has no relevance what so ever to what the OP asked about.

Why not just for once take the word of those who have actually done
the job?

Because I have done the ****ing job a lot more often
than you ever have and done it fine with an electric plane and have
enough of a clue to be able to realise that someone like the OP isnt
going to be able to work out how much to take off with a circular saw
and is much safer doing it a bit at a time until the door works fine,
with an electric planer.

But you haven't done the job as often as I have.

Irrelevant to what is a lot safer for someone
who has never done a door before like the OP.

So, in your rant above

You never could bull**** and lie your way out of a wet paper bag.

you claim "Because I have done the ****ing job a lot more often than you
ever have."

It isn't a claim, it’s a fact.

But when you come across someone who has trimmed more doors than you could
count its irrelevant?

Its completely irrelevant to what is SAFER FOR THE OP, ****wit.

You're suggesting take a bit off, re hang door,

Nope, no need to rehang the door, just stand it up
on the new higher floor covering and see if its now
got where the hinges go a little lower than where
the hinges attach.

And mostly find that it now is fine even
if it’s the first one the OP has ever done.

take a bit off, re hang door, take a bit off, re hang door. It would
take all day.

Not when you have enough of a ****ing clue
to not bother to rehang the door every time
you check if enough has been removed, even
if you were doing it.

It didn’t for anyone who has done it that way.

Getting the right amount off is dead simple.

Not for someone who has never done a door before.

Which you clearly haven't.

There you go again, face down in the ****ing mud, as always.

Position door next to frame resting on a couple of spacers (pencils work
fine). Measure distance between hinge rebate and hinge. Remove that
amount from bottom. Perfect job.

Not if you want less gap than a pencil under the door.

Halfwit.

****wit.

The weight of the door pushes the pencils into the carpet slightly and
gives a perfect result.

Pity about when it's not carpet and that approach doesn’t.

And the OP wouldn’t even think of doing it like that.

And the FAQ doesn’t even spell that out either.

And for the OP, there is a lot more work involved
in making a sawboard that he obviously doesn’t
have than just using an electric plane on the one
door he wants to do.

You can make a sawboard from scrap timber in 10 minutes, halfwit.

You don’t know that he has any scrap timber, ****wit.

Doesn't matter how quick it is for him.