Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Shaving off door bottom

David Lang wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David Lang wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Stuart Noble wrote
whisky-dave wrote
John Smith wrote

Wife has fitted a new carpet in a room and now door won't
shut as pile is too thick. What's the best tool to take off a bit
off the bottom - a plane I presume but I've not used one for
years so what's a reasonable low cost one.

I used a rasp last time, took a while longer than perhaps a plane
would have, but I only needed a few mm's off, it was a relativley
weak bathroom door rather than solid wood.

The beauty of the circ saw method is that you can take off nothing
at all at one end and, say, 5mm at the other. Perfect cut every time.
Plenty of doors have been butchered over the years by plane and
handsaw merchants, and this is a way of straightening things up.

But the major downside for someone like the OP is that you
do need to be able to calculate how much needs to be taken
off and you've ****ed the door if you take off too much. The
big advantage with using a plane is that that approach is a
lot more forgiving so you are much less likely to **** the door.

You are far more likely to fuber the door with a power plane, halfwit.

Bull****, ****wit.

Do stop making a fool of yourself.

You're the one doing that.

Five minutes ago you didn't even know there
was end grain on the bottom of a door.

You're lying thru your ****ing teeth, just like
you always end up doing when you have got
done like a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

When you're in a ****ing hole, STOP DIGGING, ****wit.