Posted to sci.electronics.components, sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical
DaveC[_4_] DaveC[_4_] is offline

Default Replacement LED?

[Jeff Lieberman]

Please deduct one point for spelling my name wrong.

And I tried so hard to get the €śLei/Lie€ť bit right! (c; 2 steps forward,
1 step back...
These photos look very much like what I would expect to be hiding
under what I believe to be a lens of some sorts:
https://www.google.com/search?q=5mm+white+led+0.5+watts&tbm=isch

One of those images (located here):

http://tinyurl.com/j4pwvuw

looks exactly like the one in my light. Its squat, with very (relatively)
large yellow die(?) in the center. I dont think theres a separate lens.
Maybe its molded to focus the light (integral lens)?
Wish I could find that LED other than @ Alibaba...

Ah-HAH! From that Alibaba image page: €śstrawhat LED€ť. Search turns up
similar-looking LEDs. Searching on the terms €śstrawhat€ť and €śdimple€ť
tells me that this form-factor is for radial distribution of the light, not
throwing a beam. Which means the flashlight designer wanted the reflector to
shape the beam, not the LED.

So Im looking for one of these types.

Thanks.

(Why are my search skills so crap? Google keeps returning Manga images and
cartoon faces...)