Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default Shaving off door bottom

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
On 24/03/2016 11:43, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 22:48:22 UTC, John Smith wrote:
Wife has fitted a new carpet in a room and now door won't shut as pile
is too thick. What's the best tool to take off a bit off the bottom - a
plane I presume but I've not used one for years so what's a reasonable
low cost one.

thx

I used a rasp last time, took a while longer than perhaps a plane would
have,
but I only needed a few mm's off, it was a relativley weak bathroom door
rather than solid wood.

The beauty of the circ saw method is that you can take off nothing at all
at one end and, say, 5mm at the other. Perfect cut every time.
Plenty of doors have been butchered over the years by plane and handsaw
merchants, and this is a way of straightening things up.

I recently replaced 6 internal doors, whichever cowboys did them originally
didn't even bother to replace the bottom rails on 3, just open-bottomed
doors.