Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tonydevers75@gmail.com is offline

Default Internal door - jammed shut - handle not operating latch

On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 16:43:59 UTC+1, paulfoel wrote:
Tried taking door handle off and turning with pliars etc but it just
seem to turn enough to open the latch.

What are my options? All I can see at the moment is kick the door
in....

A bit after the fact but I had a similar problem and can hopefully help anyone else like myself that stumbled across this thread. My internal door wouldn't open and was stuck. Unfortunately because of the way the door met the door frame I was unable to squeeze a credit card, kitchen knife, etc in between the door to push the lock back. So I removed the door handle I could see broken pieces of metal in the mechanism. I removed the loose bits of metal and tried using pliers with the metal bar that was part of the door handle/lock mechanism to turn to retract the lock with no success.

What worked for me was using an Allen key. Due to the shape of the Allen Key I was able to push it into the barrel and push the bolt back into the door so I could open the door.

Good luck,

Tony