Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious curious is offline

Default Shaving off door bottom

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 11:32:40 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Agreed about the saw, but a bit of straight wood clamped to the door to
use as a guide will do fine.

Not entirely true - an electric plane will be fine - I've done it, on
several doors.

I suppose it depends on the door design, but planing across the grain
isn't usually the best way. And electric planes ain't the easiest of
things to get a perfect edge with either. A sharp circular saw up against
a bit of straight wood as a guide will give a near perfect cut along and
across the grain.

The one thing with a plane on a door top/bottom is not to come off the
far edge, but to plane from both edges to the middle, otherwise you can
knock a lump off the corner.

I learnt that on door #1 !

After that it was fine.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

That's what I did on two occasions with no problems.