Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Shaving off door bottom

David Lang wrote:
On 24/03/2016 00:07, Rod Speed wrote:
David Lang wrote
John Smith wrote

Wife has fitted a new carpet in a room and now door won't shut as
pile is too thick. What's the best tool to take off a bit off the
bottom - a plane I presume but I've not used one for years so what's
a reasonable low cost one.

A plane isn't the right tool to trim the bottom of a door,

It works fine there with an electric plane.

it's fine on the edges.

Its fine for the bottom too and is a lot easier to use
taking off a bit at a time so you don’t end up with too
much of a gap under the door when you are finished.

You need a circular saw and a sawboard

Nowhere near as good IMO.

I've trimmed around 15 doors this year. Trust me, it's quicker & more
accurate.

If it's a composite hollow door, the bottom strip will be very thin. You
may be better off to remove the strip carefully before sawing off the
bottom of the door, then replace the strip. BTDTBTTS!