Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Update on bird feeder

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 08:45:15 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 3/22/2016 11:25 PM, wrote:
I'll post/let everyone know what happens in about a week or so after the squirrels have a chance to gnaw thru whatever they decide tastes good. Spring is definitely here in the Chicago suburbs, the grass is green, tulips and daffodils are showing buds, the maple trees and pussywillows are starting to bud, and the worms are crawling over both dirt and blacktop. So, there should be a good choice of foods available for them to gnaw on.

Squirrels will learn, over time, how to beat it. If it is possible,
they will then remember and go through it like nothing. Google
"squirrel learns obstacle course" and there are many funny videos of

Will do.

what was supposed to be squirrel proof feeders. BTW, my wife used to
just sets up several feed stations, some for birds and some for the
rodents with cute tails and all seem to coexist. Where we live not, in
western NC, squirrels are not the problem ... bears are. Some friends
put out bird feeders everyday and then at dusk take them in before the
bears destroy them.

Another story about squirrels. When living in the Chi area, we had a
screened in porch. The 1st winter we didn't bother closing the screen
doors as there were no bothersome insects. Well, one day I came home
from work and turned on the yard flood lights to let the dog out and
nothing. The breaker was tripped and would not reset. I later
discovered that the squirrels had come into the porch, crawled up into
the eve openings and gnawed through the romex feeding the floods. They
took about 3 or 4 feet of insulation off the wires and because the
switch was off, didn't get zapped. So after that, the doors were always
closed all winter long.

LOL. Once my dining room light and range hood light didn't work. I
thought I had mice that had eaten the wire. Turned out, 3 months
earlier, I had disconnected them for some reason.