Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Interconnected Smoke Alarms -- Options/Wiring -- Wireless?

In ,
philo typed:
On 03/13/2016 02:45 PM, TomR wrote:
I own a tenant-occupied, 2-story, 5 Bedroom, Colonial Style single
family detached home with an attached 2-car garage and an unfinished
basement. The home currently has individual battery powered smoke
detectors and CO detectors, but none of the detectors are
interconnected. That meets the current code for an existing single
family home like this. So, under the current code, I don't need to
do anything.

Here is my question.

Alarms are generally quite loud. If one goes off, a tenant should be
able to hear it anywhere within the house.

Maybe you could test and verify because interconnected alarms may not
be necessary.

I meant to reply earlier but then forgot to do so.

This is a unique situation which I didn't bother to try to explain in my
original post. It is a detached single family home, but the family that
lives there has some government funding which means that the home itself is
inspected by a representative from that funding source/agency. They
"recommended", but are not "requiring" an interconnected alarm system with a
control panel etc. I do not plan on doing what they "recommend" because it
is overkill, unnecessary, and not a code requirement etc. But, I have
thought about just putting in a 110-volt interconnected alarm system (no
alarm panel, no outside monitoring, etc) just as a way to please them and
show that we did more than what the code requires for existing single family
residential homes.

As far as what is there now -- the battery operated smoke and CO detectors
all operate independently and they are all loud when they go off. They are
all loud enough for anyone anywhere it the home to easily hear the alarm no
matter which one goes off.

Meanwhile, I just read in another post where someone said that "philo" is an
electrician. If that is correct, and if you do happen to know the answer to
my original question about how to wire a 110-volt interconnected alarm
system, that would be great. I think that I may already have that question
figured out, but if you know the answer, that would be helpful information.