Posted to sci.electronics.repair
junebug1701 junebug1701 is offline

Default Portable compressed air tank

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 4:47:07 PM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

All you need is an old refrigerant (freon) tank and a REFRIGERANT TANK CONVERSION KIT. I bought one of these years ago, and a friend gave me an empty freon tank. It consists of an adapter, valve, pressure gauge, and hose. You can fill it with any compressor and take it with you. I wouldn't fill mine more than about 150psi, but it worked great until I dropped something on it and broke the valve. I just found a kit on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFRIGERANT-...-/251278903428

And a photo of a typical tank, which can usually be gotten for free if you ask an A/C man:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IwvEpnrhL.jpg