Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis[_3_] Gareth Magennis[_3_] is offline

Default Portable compressed air tank

wrote in message

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 5:47:07 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from
the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

First, keep a few things in mind.

a) Charging a tire in the field is an entirely different concept than what
you want. Air is subject to Boyle's Law, and the tank size you suggest would
either require a dangerous amount of pressure in it, or not have enough to
be useful for more than a minute or two - put another way, one minute less
than necessary 100% of the time.

b) Most "gas station thingys" do not have either filters or dryers on them.
Meaning that the air you are getting will contain a good deal of moisture,
which will also build up in the tank at each charge. If you use a commercial
compressor, it will also discharge a certain amount of lubricant into the
air. Neither moisture nor lubricants are any good for electronics.

c) As Mr. Allison pointed out rightfully, "canned air" is actually a
compressed liquid, usually 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, is neither air nor
designed for your purpose. When a liquid changes phase to a gas, and when
that gas is decompressed, it loses heat (gets cold, the principle of
refrigeration). So, "Canned Air" comes on strong, and after a very short
time slows down as the evaporation reduces due to temperature loss.

With all that in mind, if you want to do what you suggest using compressed
air, then invest in "doing it right". Obtain an inexpensive tank-mounted
oil-less compressor *NAME BRAND* (I have a US-made reconditioned (by and
from) Stanley). Obtain a Filter/Dryer (one of a great many is linked). Then,
get a variety of fittings for different applications. My most useful is a
flexible-wand device, very thin, that I can reach into very tight places and
give moderate blasts of air. Mine fits behind/under the bench, and other
than startling the cats when it runs, is practically invisible. I have
linked a similar compressor to the one I have, but with a higher profile.
The price is right, however.

Now consider all the other things a good compressor will do for you. Spray
paint, particle blasting, run nail guns or staplers, start DynaJet engines
quickly and safely. I use mine to blow out the water pipes at our summer
house before winter. Works like a charm. Fill tires, automotive or bicycle,
pressurize pipes for testing purposes, testing miniature steam engines, and
much more. And, you can purchase after-market rechargeable spray cans, of
course.

http://www.amazon.com/Compressed-des.../dp/B00UEUYHOG

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTFP0.../dp/B00BF4VQ44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gyq3OSwUN8

http://forum.12ozprophet.com/threads...le-can.137582/

Sorry for the rant, but what is desirable is not always practical, and what
is practical is not always convenient. This is a nice example of that. After
purchasing a compressor in anticipation of a major carpentry project -
restoring our summer house after a flood - I am continuously surprised at
the number of additional uses I find for it. The summer house is now raised
by 8', no more floods.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That might be your experience, I just want to blow the dust off heatsinks
every now and again.

I don't have a Summer House.

Gareth.