Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default should DIY be a green cause

On 23/03/2016 10:18, wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 09:57:09 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 23/03/2016 03:39, Bill Wright wrote:

In the interests of the conservation of materials and energy, should not
DIY, especially the repair of goods, be a priority for the environmental
movement?

Well there is already a subset of them who are keen to promote the
"sharing economy" for tools - something I find hard to argue with if
it's true the average electric drill is used for less than 20 minutes in
its life[1]. Streetclub, Streetbank etc

[1] I suspect that should be "the median total use is less than 20
minutes" given a long tail of well-used drills will increase the mean,
even if trade use is excluded, but can't find the source of the claim.

someone probably interviewed their fellow journalists, one of whom owned one but gave up after one use.

I have seen the claim about tool use made a number of times (and to be
fair it would be supported by the fact that many tools have a design
life of less than 10 hours run time).

Just think how many tools you have replaced the brushes on - which in
many cases might only do 40 hours...

--
Cheers,

John.