Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Update on "broke my lathe"

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 00:54:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Pulled the cover off the gear box..and yeah..wiped out (2) bevel
gears. Im not sure why it did it in the way that it did it. Looks like
something jammed in there..but I cant find any busted pieces of
anything other than teeth. Might have wedged a busted tooth in
there...shrug.

Boston Gear Catalog time. If I order them from Clausing..Ill likely
have to sell a child to pay for the parts. Gonna replace the gear
shifter piece as well..its pretty well worn out also.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422.../ClausingLathe

Gunner

Correction..I know why it did it..there is no shear pin on the
powerfeed rod. There is one on the threading lead screw.
After going through the schematics (yeah..I have the manuals)..there
is ZERO clutch for the powerfeed section..which surprised the hell out
of me. Something to watch for in the future. Or modify the machine
and put a shear pin in the powerfeed rod. Which..may be the smart
thing to do.

The gears that swallowed their asses..are on the drive side of the
quick change gear box..not the output side going to the screw(s)

Humph!

Gunner

Gunner