The Natural Philosopher

Default Extractor fan prob

Anteateruk wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message

"Anteateruk" wrote
| Thanks. I mean smoke as in cigarette smoke.. Sorry for being unclear!
| It doesn't happen everytime, but if we leave our fan on for a period
| of time then we nearly always end up with the smell of cigarette
| smoke in our bathroom.

The air that the fan extracts from the bathroom has to be replaced from
somewhere. Possibly it is being replaced, not by air from your own hall,

but

by air being sucked from an adjacent flat. I'd have a look at the

boxing-in

of pipes esp the soil stack and underneath the bath panel.

Owain

Thanks to everyone for their help. The problem is with the air being sucked
in from another flat - the cistern is kind of built into the wall, taking
the cover off of this there is a strong smell of smoky air. I can't see
where all of the pipes go but I assume that the sewage pipe at least must
join up to other sewage pipes in the block and there is probably not a
complete seal between each flat. Would my management company being legally
abliged to do something about this or is this normal?

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Probaly they would, especially if you wandered down to teh fire staion
and asked the fire prevention officer whether he felt it constituted a
danger.

OTOH I would be inclined meself to have a quick word with the neighbour,
and inform them that you are about to unload a tube of expanding foam in
between the bathrooms, because although you utterly respect their right
to have a fag in the bath, you hopw they will respect youir wish to have
privacy and 'quiet enjoyment' of your flat as well..

Congrats on finding the problem tho.