Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaNymph SeaNymph is offline

Default Update on bird feeder

On 3/22/2016 3:49 PM, wrote:
My PVC pipe-based bird feeder was spray-painted in a camoflouage(sp?) mixture of red, green and brown, and the birds liked it. So did two squirrels who actually ate into the PVC pipe around the four openings in the bottom sides of the feeder. I had reused the old plastic opening moldings into the PVC pipe to make it easier for me. The squirrels actually ate some of the black moldings in addition to scratching the PVC vertical pipe.

So, yesterday I took the metal from the side/vertical of a large can of hair spray and cobbled together two pairs/sets of moldings. Birds seem to like it and the squirrels seem to have given up since the new home-made moldings extend 1/4 inch back from/beyond the openings in the PVC pipe. To get at anything other than the food thru the small openings, they will have to do some serious digging into the smooth PVC pipe surface. Time will tell.

Glad to hear the color change worked out. I dislike squirrels getting
into my bird feeders, so I made it so they can't. Sounds like you've
found a way to do that as well.