Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default ...And that's why I keep SharkBite End Caps in the shop

posted for all of us...

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:37:52 -0400,
wrote:

As far as the original topic of this thread, I recall reading somewhere
in this (long) thread that there was stress on these copper pipes due to
poor alignment of the pipes. That likely was part, or all of the cause
this short piece of pipe failed. The ideal solution would be to install
one of those flexible copper (or stainless steel) pipes made for water
heaters. That way there's no stress on the pipes.

And most of them are just a stainless braid over plastic..A piece of
annealed copper does the jog just fine.

The ones I'm referring to are solid copper, with spiral ribs, so it can
be bent any way you like. Unless they are no longer sold, they were
readily available, but it's been years since I needed any such thing. I
would not plastic with a braid over it either. I avoid all plastics when
it comes to plumbing. I saw what happened to a neighbor when their
plastic supply tube broke under their toilet, and the elderly woman was
asleep. Many thousands of dollars damage, including flooring, all
carpet, and so on. She was knocking on my door early in the morning, in
tears. I quickly went there and shut her water off. She wanted me to fix
it, but I told her she needed to have her insurance company come first,
and told her I could fix it, but since I'm not a licensed plumber, she
needed to get someone with a license, to satisfy the insurance company.

The following day, I replaced 4 of these plastic supply lines under my
own sinks, with chrome-brass ones. Plastic is fine for toys and picture
frames, auto dashboards, molding, and anything that is not supporting
weight or pressure. It is NOT for plumbing, and also NOT for lawn chairs
(I've seen several people hurt on collapsing plastic lawn chairs).
I will make an exception to this, as far as PVC drain pipes, but those
are not under pressure, and work fine. Drainage is the only time I use
plastics in plumbing.

Don't have a bad mitral valve in your heart because they will replace it
with ....drum roll,,, plastic.

--
Tekkie