Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On 21/03/16 10:24, Robin wrote:
On 21/03/2016 03:29, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:55:48 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

Q1: If an engine is capable of a peak torque of 400nM, what is the
force
available at the wheels at a speed of 10m/S?

(more to follow)

Like an explanation of the strange units you appear to be using along
with at least one more parameter such as power output at the peak torque
speed from which to derive the engine rpm or else a simple statement of
the actual rpm at this speed.

Assuming nM means N-m and m/S means m/s, we only need to know the
actual
engine rpm figure at which its peak torque was measured, along with an
assumed figure of gearbox efficiency (your question is phrased so as to
imply a motor vehicle of some sort or other), in order to calculate a
valid result.

I thought we needed a bit more information than that given I'm unclear
what eg "force available at the wheels" means if the car is in a 4-wheel
drift depositing large amounts of rubber[1]: the speed doesn't tell us
the direction of motion relative to the wheels

[1] Cenotaphs optional!

All that the question betrays is ignorance on the part of its poser.

If the surface of the sun is 5700 degrees, how hot will it get on
midsummer's day in Wyoming?

Easy, 5700 degrees.
What was the real question?