Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Protection by Lightning Rod(s)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 07:38:10 -0700, croy wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:20:41 -0400, wrote:

Were they killed before they installed the lightning protection?

That's the $64 question.

Maybe they were leaning against the walls instead of being in the
center of the room.

One of the injured said he was leaning against the wall.

I have a lightning rod on my garage and was in the driveway (with
another guy) once when it was hit. It was certainly exciting but we
all came out OK. We did feel the force of the hit, it was like a
sudden explosive shock wave going by but no real "electrical"
sensation.

Have you inspected the rod and ground wire since the strike?
I've always been curious to know what happens to a
well-designed and built lightening rod system when it gets
hit.

If a LR system is typically damaged by a hit, then I'd
suspect the rods on the Whitney hut would have an average
life-span of about 3 days.

Not a mark. The system did it's job. In fact the weather station on
the same pole survived too. I just had to reboot the PC it was
connected to.