Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Do "volt sticks" work on armoured cable?

On 20/03/16 17:08, ARW wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 3/18/2016 6:44 PM, David Lang wrote:
On 18/03/2016 18:28, Tim+ wrote:
Following an episode of depriving three flats of mains power for 8
hours I
thought I'd buy some of those cheap volt sticks mentioned here
recently.

Seem to work fine on ordinary cable but not on my armoured incomer. I
suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this but clearly they're not gonna
stop
me drilling into another armoured cable. ;-)

Out of interest, would the type of armour make a difference (say steel
versus copper)?

Tim

They aren't meant to be cable detectors. Surely a proper detector
would
be better?

Never heard of copper armour.

Most houses built since the late 60s have an incoming supply that uses
copper armour.

Wrong.
They use steel armour. Copper is not an 'armour'

Yes. Point noted and I was wrong with what I said.

It was more to say to newshound (and other posters) that there are cables
with copper not steel "outers" that look like SWA. The clue being in the use
of the letters SWA.

Cheers

--
Adam