Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_16_] Bruce[_16_] is offline

Default Do "volt sticks" work on armoured cable?

On 2016-03-20 17:08:53 +0000, ARW said:

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 3/18/2016 6:44 PM, David Lang wrote:
On 18/03/2016 18:28, Tim+ wrote:
Following an episode of depriving three flats of mains power for 8
hours I
thought I'd buy some of those cheap volt sticks mentioned here recently.

Seem to work fine on ordinary cable but not on my armoured incomer. I
suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this but clearly they're not gonna
stop
me drilling into another armoured cable. ;-)

Out of interest, would the type of armour make a difference (say steel
versus copper)?

Tim

They aren't meant to be cable detectors. Surely a proper detector would
be better?

Never heard of copper armour.

Most houses built since the late 60s have an incoming supply that uses
copper armour

I have never (until now) heard of the outer conductor in a concentric
cable being called armour. To my mind it is just a concentric
conductor.