Stellijer

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

Isaac Wingfield wrote in message
In article ,
"Stellijer" wrote:

How would moving the heads help when the motor is what's not spinning up?
I'm curious how that could help.

A while back, some manufacturers (Sony was one) had compatibility
problems between disk material and head material -- sometimes, when the
drive was turned off for a while, they would stick together (really,
cold-weld, I think). The motor starting torque was insufficient to break
the bond, but a good whack could do it.

I once had such a disk, but even whacking its did no good. Finally I
really gave it a good shot. It started spinning but it was making an
awful racket. Now that it was obviously no good, I took it apart, to
find the offending head *still attached to the disk*. My final whack had
ripped it right off its supporting arm.

LOL! Wow... what a whack that must have been!

In my case, it's 99% not 'stiction', since the platters seem to rotate small
amounts in a jerking pattern. It's surely in the motor control, the motor, or
contact in between.