Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best order for refurbishing house

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 13:17:28 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 3/19/2016 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/19/2016 1:18 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Cabinets are standard sizes. It's not like your next set are going to be
deeper, front to back, than your old ones. You aren't going to move the
walls to squeeze in a cabinet that is 2" wider, etc.

You are the only one to mention different depth cabinets.

If cabinets have the same footprint, then changing out the cabinets is
no big deal.

In the past 18 months I renovated two bathrooms. Both have different size
vanities than were there previously. I took out the original sheet goods and
both sit on the new ceramic tile on the floor.

Try that with saltillo tile and you will grimace each time you look at it!
You'll be *caulking* around the base to hide the imperfections in the
tile's thickness, depth of grout lines, etc. (toe kick reveal just
accentuates these imperfections)

We talked to several tile pros when we ordered our tile -- as we were swapping
out bathroom and kitchen cabinetry at the same time: "What order should we
install?"

The answer boiled down to "EASIER to tile first" (less cutting and fitting)
but "much better LOOKING to tile after the cabinetry" -- the floor and
cabinetry look to belong together (esp if you tile on the diagonal).

Floor plans tend not to change (stove can't arbitrarily be moved in
most kitchens; nor the refrigerator, sink, commode, etc.). We opted to
move the kitchen peninsula a foot further into the family room and erect
a pony wall behind it -- most folks don't have that luxury (i.e., the
room's dimensions remain the same before and after replacing a floor,
cabinetry, appliances, etc.)

Our tile pattern was planned so the tiles *fit* with the cabinets
instead of just letting the cabinetry and tile "fall where they may".
At $15K, I doubt folks will be eager to replace the cabinets
in *my* lifetime! And, pulling up the floor is even more unlikely
(removing all that tile).

It's been my experience tha MOST kitchen renovations involve at
least a minor change in cabinet "footprint". Most of those that do not
involve refacing cabinets, not replacing.