LASERandDVDfan

Default Sony DVP-S7700

If anyone on this news group have SONY DVP-S7700 service bulletins which can
e-mail to me. My DVD player locks up sometimes when watching VCD when doing
searching. It needs to press stop button and re-play again

What kinds of VCDs? Stuff that was press-replicated at a disc pressing
factory, or something that was burned on a computer?

The DVP-S7700 uses a dual discrete pickup, meaning that there are two lasers,
one with each objective lens, with one calibrated for DVD and the other
calibrated for CD.

Replacement of this part will be expensive if it is defective, but I'm willing
to bet that the VCD you are trying to play may have been recorded at high speed
using a computer writer. If you still have the CD image of this VCD on the
computer, burn a new copy at a slower speed. If not, try to copy the disc on
your computer, but, again, record the copy at a slower speed. Copy the
original as an image file, and then copy off the image. Burn no higher than
8x.

Problems with DVD players playing VCDs made on computers is not uncommon and
primarily due to the fact that the burn was done too fast. - Reinhart