Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Do "volt sticks" work on armoured cable?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ writes:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message ...

I wasn't intending using it as a cable detector. My folly was to drill
(deliberately) into an old copper pipe to determine whether it was gas or
water (having turned off both first) prior to removing the "pipe". I forgot
the third option. ;-)

Tim

I bet that made a bit of a pop !

Ruined my drill bit. ;-) Underwear escaped serious damage though.

Was it an ordinary coppr pipe, or was it a mineral insulated cable
full of compressed white magnesium oxide power as the insulator)?

The latter, although to a fool it looked awfully like an old copper pipe.
;-)

Tim