Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Best order for refurbishing house

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 3:38:15 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Best order for refurbishing house

I will most likely be moving and will be redoing the house to make it
ready for sale. What's the best order for doing these things... I'm
thinking it's the order listed below.

- interior paint
-redo shower/tub
- flooring
- cabinets/counters

depends a lot upon other factors, how much you
like doing that sort of thing, if you're skilled
enough to make it look good, how much time you have,
what the local market is like, ask the local realtors
(but most likely they will encourage you to do
improvements as it is money in their pocket if a
house sells for more).

IMO, none of that, if you count your labor and the
cost of materials you will rarely recover the expenses.
also figure the time to sale. right now is spring,
get it on the market and let it go. you want to be
moving in the fall or winter?

if i buy a place all of those are things that i
would redo for myself to suit my own tastes. why
would i want to pay more $ for things i'll replace
or redo eventually? if someone repaints with cheap
paint it sucks, same for the rest of it...

much better to make sure the roof is done well
and that the exterior is sound. take care of anything
that would be a problem for the new owner but otherwise
get out and move on.

songbird

obviously all those house flippers arent making money, and buyers dont ever buy flipped homes