Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do "volt sticks" work on armoured cable?

Tim+ a écrit :
Following an episode of depriving three flats of mains power for 8 hours I
thought I'd buy some of those cheap volt sticks mentioned here recently.

Seem to work fine on ordinary cable but not on my armoured incomer. I
suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this but clearly they're not gonna stop
me drilling into another armoured cable. ;-)

Out of interest, would the type of armour make a difference (say steel
versus copper)?

Tim

The will not pick up the field through metal of any type. That includes
metal screening, armouring, conduit and etc..

To help prevent your drilling an hidden amoured cable, metal pipe or
similar buried in a wall, a metal detector works well.