Stellijer

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

see interspersed

BOB URZ wrote in message

Stellijer wrote:

Anyone know of any great web sites or discussions boards for reviving hard
drives which have failed fir data retreival?

Well, i think its pretty much been established your motor is not
spinning up.

Indeed. I just need to ascertain WHY it's not spinning up; bad controller or
bad motor. And if bad motor, could I spin it up manually one time...

If your adventurous, you might try to ID the motor platter
control chip on the PB board. Inspect it (and the whole board) for
any suspicious solder connections.

I'm adventurous but I try to pick and choose my battles! :-)

I'm not sure WHICH would be the right chip, anyway. Sounds a lot easier to try
to obtain a used idential series drive off ebay.

Try to find the chip's pin out on line
and verify all the voltages are to it. Maybe you can try to hot-wire it
to jump-start it. You need to find the data sheet (if you can at all) and
see what fun you can do.

Indeed... sounds like a pain. I'm not sure how I would solder things that small
anyway.

There could even be a low value series resistor
that has opened. Probably a wild goose chance, but with a scope, DVM
and a pin out, you could amuse yourself for awhile.

So... you are of the belief that it's probably the motor CONTROLLER as opposed
to the motor itself?

I would hope it's the controller since it's external. I'm afraid of damage if I
have to replace the motor itself. It looks like you have to unfasten all the
platters and everything to get at the motor which exposes the platters to more
risk than I care for.