Stellijer

Default Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives.

Alan Peterman wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:22:50 GMT, "James Sweet"

wrote:

I haven't seen a drive suffer from stiction in probably 10 years, things
have changed since then, platters and heads are much different now.

One of my clients got 3 systems in 1999 with Samsung SV0432A drives in them.
ALL three of those drives (made in 1999) failed in 2001-2002 due to stiction
problems. And on each drive I managed to spin them up by hand and recover

the
data to a new drive. I'm still using one of them as a paperweight on my desk!

What were the symptoms before the stiction occured? Would they jerk a little
trying to start?

Twisting this drive isn't helping. I'm not sure if manually spinning the
platter at a decent speed would help jump start it. I'm trying to find someone
who's had the same "occasional jerking" symptom that I have.