Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_villain bob_villain is offline

Default Toilet Repair Tip

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 7:25:51 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 3:55:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Inside my toilet tank, the overflow pipe, which is a very thin plastic
tube, broke off at the base. The toilet was "running", I replaced the
flapper and it continued to run. Whole working in that tank, I noticed
that this overflow pipe was crooked and when I touched it, it moved.

Immediately, I checked it, and found a crack at the base of it. A little
hand pressure and it cracked right off. That crack is where the water
was leaking, NOT at the flapper.

While replacing the whole flapper drain assembly is not a major repair,
it does mean the tank has to be removed from the toilet base, and most
of the time the bolts are corroded and can not just be unscrewed. Too
much pressure applied to them, and the tank will break. So, that means
it's usually a matter to saw off those bolts with a sawsall metal
cutting blade, or by hand with a hacksaw blade. (Either way, it's a pain
in the ass job).

I use a chisel to get those &*$ bolts out.

It should be a law that those bolts be stainless steel. :-)

Andy

The bolts and nuts I've seen for toilets are brass.

Right, seats and the floor mounting bolts are often plated brass that rust. The tank is always brass (in my experience) and comes off easily.