Alan Harriman

Default Magavox PTV705 blows HOT instantly

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:00:08 GMT, David Heller wrote:

wrote:
Hi. Thanks for the ideas. It does blow the Q802 with HV cable removed from
splitter and isolated also. Reckon this set doesn't like having no load on
HV output? First time I've run into this, so a bit of a learning curve. I
gotta change the tube oil anyway, it is grungy, so I'll redo the RTV at HV
connectors while I'm at it. Just trying to sort out the running problem
first before the cosmetics.

Cheers, Danny

Danny

I would reflow the horiz drive transformer. You need to do the four pins
where the tiny leads from the windings are connected to. and resolder
the connections where the transformer is soldered to the board. Other
possibilites are a bad yoke or horiz drive problems Also the damper
diode could be bad if not internal to the output transistor.

Also check for open safety (tuning) caps off the horizontal output. I recall a
Philips PTV620 few years ago the would blow the HOT instantly. In that case, the
cause was C817 (0.0091uf/1600v)

Alan Harriman

Dave

Good Luck